The Entire Star Trek Universe at High Speed

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Spock! Picard! Sarek! Birthday Party--Yes!

TNG: Season 5: Episode 107: Unification (Parts 1 and 2)

Okay, fine, I get it. This is WAY out of order. We're only 7 episodes into The Original Series and here I am 107 episodes into The Next Generation. But, here's the thing, it's my birthday. For weeks people have been talking to me about how birthdays are for doing something really special, for really taking the time to celebrate your life, for coming up with an activity that honors the day with genuine regard. On my birthday, however, I have a meeting to attend, and no real plans for celebration. Finally, it occurred to me there was only one real way to celebrate--bring together my favorite Star Trek moments in one perfect episode. The truth is, I frickin' love Spock. This has been said. I also admire Sarek very much. And, honestly, even though I would never marry Jean-Luc Picard (because I'm previously committed to Spock (he only gets better with age)), I would do anything he said. The wonderful thing about saying such things is that Spock and Jean-Luc are so completely trustworthy. So, I can say something as dramatic as "I'd do anything Jean-Luc Picard said to do." and honestly mean it, all the while knowing he'd never put me in immoral circumstances. There's nothing more attractive than that.

So, how to spend an almost perfect birthday? Bring together Spock, Sarek, and Jean-Luc in one episode, side by side with Data, Geordi, Worf, and Crusher. So excellent. It would only be better if my Trek friends were here with me too. Whenever it is they come visit I'm going to propose we get a big Trek-with-beer pile of the handful of us set up on my bed to watch these episodes. By the way, Data and Picard dress up as Romulans. How hot is that? Also, this episode was dedicated to Gene Roddenberry, who died shortly before it aired.

Since we're out of order here, I'm not going to summarize the episode. I'll wait till I watch it again with Sabrina 9 years old later in the year. For those of you that want to enjoy my birthday celebration with me, here's the links from youtube. Cheers, and enjoy!

Unification, Part 1


Part One


Part Two


Part Three


Part Four


Part Five


Unification, Part 2


Part One


Part Two


Part Three


Part Four


Part Five

1 comment:

NEXT TOP CRITIC said...

I'd do anything Jean-Luc Picard asked me to as well.