The Entire Star Trek Universe at High Speed

Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Project

I don't make new year's resolutions. It's guaranteed that if I do, I don't keep them. Not because I can't follow through with commitments. I'm quite good at that, actually. It's just that somehow setting them on the New Year, as if I wouldn't do it otherwise, seems false and I can't quite accept the set-up.

One year I decided to make goofy resolutions to see how that went--I promised to watch every Arnold Schwarzenegger film that I could actually get a hold of in the order that it was released to the general viewing public. Not because I'm a fan. Because the idea was ridiculous. I laughed over the Conan movies; got into Terminator; reveled in Red Sonja; couldn't find Commando, or Raw Deal; loved Running Man all the way through Total Recall (his best); etc, then hit Christmas in Connecticut and gave up. That would have left 14 movies to watch, all before he became governor, and three more since.

But, clearly, life is good for pursuing projects, and I do well at completing them when they're not resolutions made on January 1, or December 31. So, this summer I've constructed a big one with the promise to complete it over the course of the next year.

Starting today, I will watch every Star Trek episode and movie, in chronological order, starting with the Pilot for The Original Series, all the way through the recent movie titled simply Star Trek. It turns out, accomplishing such a task consists in watching 34,001 total minutes of Star Trek heaven. That's 566.68 hours, or, 23.6 days. You are invited to come along for the ride.


The Invitation
This blog has been named The Warp Project because completing the task will demand watching an average of two hours of Star Trek, five days a week, every week of the year. In other words, it'll mean moving through the Star Trek universe at high speed. As the project persists, the blog will be updated with responses to each episode and movie. The nine-year old I live with too will add snippets of her thoughts, as she is quite excited by the prospect of upgrading her current status of ST Apprentice to Star Trek Journeyman. (I suspect "expert" class pushes us into a level of commitment beyond simply watching the materials available.)

With the plan laid out--set a course: The Star Trek Pilot. Engage!

No comments: